About this directory
Identifying an organization as a cooperative requires both a working definition of a cooperative and an accurate data source for organizations that meet the definition.
For the purposes of this directory cooperatives are defined as:
- Entities incorporated as cooperatives under Wisconsin Statutes Chapters 185 or 193 and registered with the Wisconsin Department of Finance.
In the state of Wisconsin only organizations incorprated under Chapters 185 and 193 can use "cooperative" or "co-op" in the organizational name.
- Entities specifically incorporated as credit unions under Wisconsin Statutes Chapter 186 and registered with the Wisconsin Department of Finance.
- Entities that have met the registration and reporting requirements of the Wisconsin Commissioner of Insurance and reported a mutual ownership structure.
- Entities chartered by the National Credit Union Administration and registered with NCUA.
- Entities chartered by the Farm Credit Administration and part of the Farm Credit System.
The data used to create this directory have been obtained from these governmental agencies. Using official sources provides a level of data consistency over time
and a means to update data on an ongoing basis.
Data from these sources was further refined to include only organizations which have
- their principle office in Wisconsin, thus excluding
- non-Wisconsin co-ops incorporated under Wisconsin statutes and
- co-ops with a Wisconsin presence but not headquartered in the state;
- a Wisconsin DFI status, if the firm is listed in DFI records, of
- "in good standing", or
- "in bad standing" dated 2005 to the present. The status of "in bad standing" reflects a failure to meet various statutory filing requirements.
There are some cooperative entities that fall outside the scope of this definition and are not included in this directory:
- Entities that are incorporated as LLC's, nonprofits, or other organizational types but use a cooperative governance structure based on membership voting rights. Examples may
be especially common in the housing and child care sectors.
- Cooperative entities that have branches or subsidiaries in Wisconsin but are incorporated in another state.
- Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions, Corporate Records. Firms that have their
principle office in Wisconsin and are organized under Wisconsin Statutes Chapters 185 and 193 (cooperatives) and 186 (state-chartered credit unions).
- Wisconsin Office of the Commissioner of Insurance. Firms that have their principle office in Wisconsin and an ownership type of "Mutual".
- U.S. Farm Credit Administration. Firms in the farm credit sector headquartered in Wisconsin.
- National Credit Union Administration. Federally chartered credit unions headquartered in Wisconsin.
- UWCC staff research populated the following variables: Type, Sector, County, and the district numbers for the Wisconsin legislature and the U.S. Congress.